CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION III. UNIT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-30. BOLT TOGETHER RIMS REPAIR (M939A1 SERIES).
This Task Covers:
Wheel removed (see TM 9-2320-272-
Valve core removed and tire deflated
(see paragraph 2-26)
Wheel assembly tool (Item 55, Appendix
Inflator-gage, pneumatic tire (includes
10' hose) (Item 30, Appendix B)
One preformed packing (TM 9-2320-272-
Ten self-locking nuts (TM 9-2320-272-20P)
Detergent (Item 83, Appendix C)
Personnel Required: Two
Ensure that tire is totally deflated before removing self-locking nuts. Failure to follow proper
safety precautions could cause serious injury or death.
Loosen self-locking nuts no more than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) at a time. Uneven beadlock pressure
on clamp ring may result in damage to wheel rim studs.
Never use petroleum based products such as oil or grease when demounting/mounting tires
from rims. Petroleum based products have a severe degrading affect on tire rubber. Use only
approved tire and rim lubricant.
1. Loosen then remove ten self-locking nuts (14) from wheel rim studs (13). Discard self-locking nuts.
2. Remove clamp ring (12) and wheel rim (9) from tire (1).
Perform step 3 only if wheel rim is being replaced.
3. Remove nut (8) grommet (7) and turret valve (4) from wheel rim (9).
4. Remove preformed packing (11) from wheel rim (9). Discard preformed packing
Use of a tire iron is required in step 5 to obtain clearance between beadlock and tire for
installation of rope.
5. Compress beadlock (2) enough to install rope (3). Remove beadlock from tire (1).