CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION III. UNIT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-30. BOLT TOGETHER RIMS REPAIR (M939A1 SERIES) (Con't).
b. RIM MAINTENANCE
7. All rims.
(a) Inspect rim, flanges and rim components for damage or abnormal wear. Check for elongated
mounting holes in rim.
(b) Inspect rim for cracks, splits, or tears.
(c) Remove rust, oil, and tire and rim lubricant residue from rim.
Never install a Goodyear beadlock in a Michelin tire or a Michelin beadlock in a
Goodyear tire. Damage to equipment may result if tire components of different
manufacturers are interchanged.
When new wheel rim is installed, use attaching parts from old wheel rim.
1. Install rope (3) on beadlock (2). Compress bead lock and install in tire (1). Remove rope. Ensure
that beadlock is centered in tire .
2. Install grommet (7) on turret valve (4).
3. Install turret valve (4) on wheel rim (9) using nut (8). Torque nut to 40-65 Ib.-in. (5-7 N.m).
4. Install wheel rim (9) on tire (1).
5. Install new preformed packing (11) on groove (10).
6. Install clamp ring (12) on wheel rim (9) with valve stem hole aligned with turret valve (4).
7. Install wheel assembly tool base (18) on wheel rim (9).
8. Install wheel assembly tool plate (15) on wheel assembly tool base (18) using two washers (17)
and two nuts (16). Tighten nuts enough to perform step 9.
9. Install ten new self-locking nuts (14) on wheel rim studs (13) finger-tight.