CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION III. UNIT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-29. RUNFLAT TIRE MAINTENANCE (HMMWV) (Con't).
b. INSPECTION AND CLEANING (Con't)
Never use wheel assemblies with studs that are damaged, loose, or have damaged threads.
Damaged studs can cause improper assembly, which could cause individual fasteners to fail. Any
of these situations could cause serious injury or death.
11. Inspect rim half (8) for cracked, broken, rusted, pitted, bent, or
loose studs (9) .Inspect studs for damaged, mutilated, or deformed
threads. Replace studs if damaged, loose, or if threads are damaged
(see TM 9-2320-280- 20).
12. Inspect valve stem (3) for cracks or deterioration. Replace valve
stem if cracked or deteriorated.
Never use tubes in runflat wheel assemblies. Use of a tube defeats built-in safety features
and could allow wheel to come apart under pressure, resulting in serious injury or death.
Use only replacement parts and materiel specified in TM 9-2320-280-20P. Wheels assembled
with components that do not meet specifications could cause the assembly to separate under
pressure, resulting in serious injury or death.
1. Position strip of double-sided adhesive tape (17) on
center of outer surface of each runflat half (11).
2. Position two lubricant packets (16) on adhesive tape (17)
at each runflat half (11). Apply four 15 strips of filament tape
(15) around each lubricant packet to ensure bonding to