CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION IV. DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-35. NONDEMOUNTABLE FLAT BASE RIM TIRE MAINTENANCE (Con't).
a. DEMOUNTING (Con't)
10. With inner tire bead (6) completely free of inner rim flange (7), force bottom of tire out as far as
possible. Have assistant lower vehicle a little so weight of tire rests on ground.
11. Force top of tire out as far as possible.
Have assistant raise vehicle so weight of
tire is not resting on ground.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 until tire is almost
completely off rim.
13. Working with assistant, completely remove
tire from rim and lean tire in an upright
position against vehicle or other solid
14. Slide inner rim flange (7) off rim.
When removing tire flap and tube it may
be necessary to use a tire bead spreader
or small jack to spread tire beads apart.
15. Using a flat tire iron (8), work tire flap (9)
out of tire, being careful not to damage
tube and tire flap.
16. Remove tube from tire, being careful not to
damage valve stem.
b. RIM MAINTENANCE
1. All rims.
(a) Inspect rim, lockring and flanges for
damage or abnormal wear.
(b) Inspect rim components for cracks, splits, or tears.
Remove rust, oil, and tire and rim lubricant residue from rim.