9. When assembling the shaft and clutch assembly, it is very important that a smooth external tooth steel
reaction plate be installed against the aluminum piston. DO NOT, under any circumstances, place a
grooved internal tooth friction plate first against the aluminum piston. Alternate steel and bronze plates
until each clutch has eight (8) of each.
THE STEEL PLATES ARE SLIGHTLY CONICAL, NOT FLAT,
AND THE SLOPE ON THESE PLATES WHEN INSTALLED IN
THE UNIT SHOULD BE PARALLEL WITH THE "DISHED"
SIDE TOWARD THE OPEN END OF THE CYLINDER.
10. The clutch stack end-play is adjusted with clutch stack adjustment shims. Check end-play (.020 to .035
recommended) by bumping and pulling the input shaft.
E. Reassembly Clutch Shaft Assembly
1. Press the output bearing on the output shaft. Install snap ring to retain bearing. Place thrust washer on
shaft. Now place output gear assembly on shaft. Place thrust washer on shaft.
2. Lower the rear clutch hub on the output shaft, thrust face down.
3. Install snap ring on the output shaft to retain the rear clutch hub. Make sure the ring is securely seated in
its groove. Check the output gear for free motion.
4. Pre-lubricate and install two seal rings in the lower two grooves on the output shaft.
5. Install the outer seal on the clutch piston and inner seal in the clutch cylinder, pre-lubrication seals
immediately before installation. Lower the piston into the clutch cylinder to the bottom of its travel, using
an arbor press if necessary.
6. Insert the coil clutch spring into the piston. Place the spring retainer in position and depress the spring with
a pair of bars under an arbor press so that the snap ring may be installed to retain the spring. Make sure
the snap ring is securely seated in its groove.
7. Lower a full complement of eight clutch plates and eight separate plates into the clutch cylinder, alternating
first a separator place (steel plate with external tooth) then a clutch plate (bronze plate with internal teeth).
Alternate the plates until the full complement is installed. It is very important that a smooth steel separator