CLEANLINESS IS OF EXTREME IMPORTANCE AND AN
ABSOLUTE MUST IN THE REPAIR AND OVERHAUL OF
THIS UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIRS, THE
EXTERIOR MUST BE THOROUGHLYCLEANED TO
PREVENT THE POSSIBILITY OF DIRT AND FOREIGN
MATTER ENTERING THE MECHANISM.
DISASSEMBLING, ALL PARTS AND CASE SHOULD BE
THOROUGHLY CLEANED IN A SOLVENT TANK, THEN
CLEANED AGAIN WITH CLEAN SOLVENT BEFORE
3. After removal of transmission to work area, remove the capscrews attaching the four speed transmission.
(Note number of-clutch shaft adjusting shims removed).
a. Remove heat exchanger. Discard all used O-Rings.
b. Remove control valve assembly.
c. Remove oil pump and filter assembly; discard suction tube O-Rings.
d. Remove converter housing assembly.
e. Remove oil pan, gaskets and screen.
f. Remove front plate and stator support tube.
g. Remove countershaft, counter gear, bearings, washers.
h. Remove clutch shaft assembly.
i. Remove idler shaft, idler gear, bearings, and washers. The case is now completely disassembled; if
it is necessary to go into the clutch shaft, continue. If an exchange clutch shaft assembly is used,
clean all parts and replace as required. Proceed to Paragraph D-9 for assembly of unit.
C. Disassembly Clutch Stack
1. Remove and discard input shaft seal rings.
2. Remove snap ring. Remove input shaft, washer, and hub. Remove all plates.
3. Using a pair of bars and a small arbor press, press down the piston spring retainer and remove snap ring.
Release press slowly and remove spring and spring retainer.
4. Turn the cylinder over, blow air pressure into hole in bushing in center of cylinder, 100 P.S.I. This will blow
the piston out of the cylinder. Lift up cylinder, remove O-Rings and discard.