CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION V. GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-43. PRELIMINARY INSPECTION AND CONDITION CLASSIFICATION OF
These instructions are published for use by personnel responsible for inspection, classification and
assigning of Condition Readiness Codes (CRC) for pneumatic tires. This is a guide for:
(1) Identifying tires not requiring repairing/retreading that should be returned to the supply system
for reissue (CRC B for repaired tires). See note on next page and Table 2-12.
(2) Identifying unserviceable and economically repairable tires (CRC F).
(3) Identifying unserviceable (condemned) or uneconomically repairable tires (CRC H).
These instructions apply to Direct Support, General Support, and Depot Maintenance; however, all
categories of maintenance should familiarize themselves with the contents of this section.
Regardless of tire condition, installations should not return used tires to depots, for disposal, retreading or
re-issue. A depot will not issue credit to the installation turning in used tires, serviceable or unserviceable.
Generally there are only three actions to take with a used tire depending on the condition:
(1) Used tires that are serviceable are to be retained and reused within the installation whenever
possible (see note on next page and Table 2-12). If the used tire no longer has an application it should be
turned into the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO).
(2) Used tires that are unserviceable but repairable are to be repaired, if it is within the repair
criterion, and turned into DRMO if unrepairable.
(3) Used tires that are worn beyond tread wear limits are to be retreaded. If they cannot be
retreaded due to authorized restrictions, or they exceeded tread wear limits (nonretreadable) they should
be turned into the DRMO as unserviceable, uneconomically repairable.
Depots do not have the responsibility for any of the above actions.
b. Condition Readiness Codes.
The following condition codes are applicable to pneumatic tires and are defined as follows:
(1) Code A: New, unused tire or unused retread free of defects.
(2) Code B:
Serviceable used and repaired (not retreaded) tire free of defects. Refer to the note on
the next page and Table 2-12.
Any new, unused tire where the manufacture date cannot be determined.
(3) Code F: Unserviceable, economically repairable tire that requires repair or retreading to
(4) Code H: Unserviceable, uneconomically repairable tire. Any tire not used within 60 months
from date of manufacture or since the last retread.