CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION V. GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-42. TIRE REPAIR PROCEDURES, SECTION REPAIR WITH PREVULCANIZED
PLUG AND PATCH UNIT TWO INCHES AND UNDER (Con't).
3. Using a marking crayon, draw two straight lines (2 and 3) through center of drilled hole (4). The lines
should cross the center of hole at right angles, one parallel with and one perpendicular to beads of tire.
4. Using tee unit as a template, mark inside of tire 2 inches (5.1 cm) larger than the patch of the tee unit.
Use cleaning fluids and vulcanizing fluids in a well-ventilated area. Read all warnings and
cautions on containers. Prolonged inhalation of fumes could cause health hazards.
5. Using an air cooled finishing rasp and, being careful
not to buff through inner tire liner, buff patch area to a
smooth velvet surface.
When using compressed air, always wear safety
goggles to prevent dirt and debris from going
into eyes. Compressed airstream must be less
than 30 psi (207 kPa).
6. Using a vacuum cleaner or air nozzle, remove buffing
dust. Clean only buffed area with a rag wet with rubber
7. Brush one coat of vulcanizing fluid onto buffer area and inside plug hole.