CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION III. UNIT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-29. RUNFLAT TIRE MAINTENANCE (HMMWV) (Con't).
b. INSPECTION AND CLEANING
Do not use a tire that has been run flat without thoroughly inspecting for damage. Failure to
follow these instructions may result in damage to equipment, injury or death.
1. Inspect inside of tire (6) for cord or belt
separation and inner liner damage. Replace tire if
2. Inspect tire bead (14) for abrasions caused
from runflat halves (11). Replace tire (6) it
3. Check for protruding objects inside tire (6) that
may not be visible from outside. Repair tire if
damaged (see paragraph 2-32).
4. Check tread depth on tire (6) (see paragraph 2-
24). Tread should not be worn below level of wear
bars (13). Replace tire if tread is worn below wear
5. Remove eight strips of filament tape ( 15) .two
lubricant packs (16), and adhesive tape (17) from
each runflat half (11). Discard lubricant packs,
filament tape, and adhesive tape.
6. Clean lubricant from tire (6) and runflat halves
(11) with detergent and water. Allow to air dry.