CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION III. UNIT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-22. UNIT INSPECTION.
Unit maintenance consists of periodic inspections and services prescribed in the applicable vehicle
technical manuals and in this manual. Participation of the operator is required during some of these
inspections and services.
b. INSPECTION PROCEDURES.
During scheduled maintenance, the following items must be inspected:
(1) Correct deficiencies noted by operator.
(2) Match and install tires according to tread design and degree of wear.
(3) Check all wheel nuts, rims, and side rings for security and serviceability.
(4) Check wheel stops for proper mounting and torque. Turn front wheels fully in both
directions and check turn limitation of stops. Ensure that tires clear all vehicle components.
(5) Inspect wheel and rim components for proper seating, distortions or other obvious damage,
which may cause the assembly to dislodge or fail.
(7) Inspect tires for conditions shown in paragraph 2-23, which follows.
(8) Painting of Tires. Painting tires to improve appearance does not provide any functional
benefit. It is against maintenance policy to paint tires to make them look new or clean. Cleaning
tires with soap and water when vehicle is washed will suffice.
2-23. TIRE INSPECTION.
a. INSPECTION OF TIRE BEADS.
If any of these deficiencies are noted the tire must be removed from service immediately.
(1) Tears or gouges that are more than 2/32 inch deep or expose bead wire.
(2) Kinked or distorted beads.
(3) Burned beads, which are indicated by rough, brittle, and/or discolored hard surface in the
(4) Petroleum damage which is indicated by blisters, swelling, spongy, dry and/or brittle rubber
in the bead area.
(5) Bead damage from curbing which is indicated by localized rippling or waviness in the bead
area with no exposed cord. Scuffs may also be apparent in the lower sidewall.
(6) Flow cracks from improper manufacturing processes which is indicated by a solid extended
circumferential crack above the bead with no wire exposed.