CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION I. GENERAL INFORMATION (Con't)
2-3. INFLATION SAFETY (Con't).
c. Inflation Safety, Single-Piece Rims (Con't).
(5) All persons must stay out of the trajectory when tires are being inflated.
(6) When inflating tires in a positive wheel lock down device. always use a pneumatic tire
(7) Tires must not be inflated to more than the inflation pressure molded on the tire sidewall or
the maximum pressure of the rim/wheel unless a higher pressure is recommended by the
manufacturer or indicated in the vehicle Technical Manual.
2-4. MULTI-PIECE RIMS/WHEEL GENERAL MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES.
(1) Tires are to be mounted only on compatible rims/wheels having matching bead diameter and
(2) Apply a nonflammable rubber lubricant on the bead and rim/wheel mating surfaces before tire
and rim/wheel assembly.
(3) Never rework, weld, braze, or otherwise heat cracked, broken or damaged rim/wheel
(4) If you cannot identify the rim, lockrings or other rim components by size and type, they must
(5) Never apply heat to a multi-piece rim/wheel or rim/wheel component.
(6) Current safety and matching charts or vehicle technical manuals containing instructions for
the type of wheels being serviced must be available in the service area.
(7) When mounting demountable rim/wheel combinations with a split rim make sure the gap is
aligned 180 degrees from the valve. Positioning the gap at 180 degrees will minimize distortion. During
manufacturing there is a piece of metal taken out of the wheel where the valve goes which creates a
natural weak point. The gap is a weak point and a pressure point also and if the where incorrectly lined up
the wheel could distort.
(8) There is no maximum lockring gap for two and three piece assemblies. However there are
minimum gap tolerances. Two-piece rims with a lockring the gap when assembled should not be less than
3/8 inch. The ends on the lockring on three piece assemblies, such as on the HEMTT vehicle, should not
touch, when assembled.
2-5. SINGLE-PIECE RIMS/WHEELS GENERAL MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES.
(1) Mounting and demounting of tires must be done only from the narrow ledge side of steel
rims/wheels. (Aluminum wheels are symmetrical and tires can be mounted from either side).
(2) Apply a nonflammable rubber lubricant on the tire bead and rim/wheel mating surfaces before
tire and rim/wheel assembly.