CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION V. GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-44. TIRE INSPECTION CRITERIA (Con't).
f. Passenger Car Tire Inspection Criteria.
Tires that contain any of the following deficiencies are not acceptable for repairing/retreading and will be
classified CRC H.
(1) Ply separation.
(2) Tread, shoulder, or sidewall separation (between rubber and cord).
(3) Weather checking that cannot be satisfactorily removed by buffing or with openings
extending 2/32 inch or deeper or to the cord body or when 2 or more cracks join together to for a
straight or arced line.
(4) Radial split(s) that cannot be completely removed without damage to cord.
(5) Any groove or shoulder cracking that cannot be satisfactorily removed by buffing.
(6) Nonrepairable sidewall splits or cuts.
(7) Loose cords on the inner ply or evidence of having been run flat.
(8) Exposed, kinked. or damaged bead wires.
(9) Generally weakened or deteriorated condition due to age, moisture, or exposure to other
severely destructive influences.
(10) Oil-soaked or permanently deformed due to faulty maintenance or storage conditions.
(11) Casing that, when processed will not meet dimensional requirements.
(12) Any injury requiring a reinforcement or sectional repair or evidence of having had a
previous repair of this type.
(13) Less than full four-ply construction unless the original casing construction is reinforced with
breaker strips or belt; a belted tire that has two plies in sidewall plus two belts (2 + 2) is
(14) Three or more adjacent cords broken in any ply: old injuries, including nail hole repairs,
shall be investigated and if compliance with this requirement cannot be determined, the casing
shall be rejected.
(15) Tubeless tires incapable of providing air retention equal to that of a conventional tire and
tube; porous liner; splices that show exposed fabric or can be suspected of opening to the fabric
during the new tread life of the tire.
(16) Wear extending to the fabric or so close to the fabric that the top cord ply (or breaker, or
belt) will be exposed by buffing.