CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION IV. DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-37. NONDEMOUNTABLE LARGE EARTHMOVER RIM MAINTENANCE (Con't).
c. MOUNTING (Con't)
16. Remove all tools from rim and guide bead seat band
and outer rim flange (2) out onto lockring (5). Ensure
that drive lug (14) is positioned between ends of
17. Inspect all rim components to ensure that they are
18. Install valve core (see paragraph 2-26).
When inflating tires mounted on the vehicle, all personnel must remain a minimum of 10 ft (3.1
m) away from tire and not in possible path of lockring or rim flange. Should they fly off, serious
injury or death could result.
Improperly seated rim flanges or lockrings may fly off during inflation. Never attempt to seat rim
flange or lockrings during inflation or after inflation. Serious injury or death could result.
Never inflate tires over 40 psi (276 kPa) to seat tire beads. If beads do not seat, deflate, demount,
and check the tire/rim match. Mount and lubricate according to instructions. Serious injury or
death could result if these procedures are not followed.
When inflating tires on nondemountable rims, always use a pneumatic tire inflator-gage and a 10
ft (3.1 m) hose. Failure to do so could result in serious injury.
19. Remove valve cap. Using a pneumatic tire inflator-gage with 10 ft airhose (17), inflate tire (13) to 40
psi (276 kPa) maximum to seat both tire beads out against rim flange. Tire beads should seat before
reaching 40 psi (276 kPa). If tire beads fail
to seat, deflate tire, correct cause of failure,
add additional tire and rim lubricant, and
repeat this step.
20. Visually check that all rim components are
properly seated. If not deflate tire (13) and
correct the problem.
21. Inflate tire to normal operating pressure (see
appropriate vehicle TM). Visually inspect
all rim components again to ensure that they
are properly seated.
22. Install valve cap on valve stem.
23. Lower jack and remove from under vehicle
(see appropriate vehicle TM).