CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION IV. DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-37. NONDEMOUNTABLE LARGE EARTHMOVER RIM MAINTENANCE (Con't).
a. DEMOUNTING (Con't)
Refer to appropriate vehicle maintenance TM for jacking instructions and related safety
precautions. If a crane or hoist is available it may be used to raise and lower tire instead
of jacking vehicle up and down.
16. Work progressively around rim (4) with curved flat tire iron (8), working inner tire bead (9)
completely free of inner rim flange (10).
17. With inner tire bead completely free of inner rim flange (10), force bottom of 1ire (13) out as far as
possible. Have assistant lower vehicle so that weight of tire rests on ground.
18. Force top of tire (13) out as far as possible. Have assistant raise vehicle so that weight of tire is not
resting on ground.
19. Repeat steps 17 and 18 until tire is almost completely off rim.
20. With assistant, completely remove tire (13) from rim (4) and lean tire in an upright position against
vehicle or other solid object.
21. Slide inner rim flange (10) off of rim (4).
When removing tire flap and tube, it may be necessary to use a tire bead spreader or small
jack to spread tire beads apart.
22. Using a flat tire iron, work tire flap (11) out of tire, being careful not to damage tube (12) and tire flap.
Remove tube (12) from tire, being careful not to damage valve stem.