CHAPTER 2. CARE, MAINTENANCE, AND INSPECTION (Con't)
SECTION IV. DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE (Con't)
2-36. DEMOUNTABLE FLAT BASE RIM WITH TUBELESS TIRE MAINTENANCE
1. Place rim (2) flat on floor, lubricate both beads of tire with tire and rim lubricant, and place tire
completely on rim.
2. Slide side ring flange (1) down onto rim (2) and under bead of tire.
3. Force side ring flange (1) down past gutter of rim (2) and install preformed packing in groove of rim.
4. Holding side ring flange (1) down past gutter of rim (2) place end of lockring (7) without prying notch
into gutter of rim.
5. Working progressively around rim (2), work lockring (7) over edge of rim with lockring tire iron (5)
and step on lockring, forcing it down into gutter of rim.
6. Ensure that preformed packing is properly installed, and guide side ring flange (1) up over preformed
packing and onto lockring (7).
Improperly seated side ring flanges or lockrings could fly off during inflation. Never attempt to
seat side ring flanges or lockrings during or after inflation. Serious injury or death could result.
When using new tubes or new tubeless valve stems, always ensure that the valve core is removed
before initial inflation.
7. Inspect all rim components to ensure that they are properly seated. Place rim and tire assembly in an
inflation safety cage (see paragraph 2-3).