SECTION II. Direct Support Maintenance
a. Cleaning and Decontamination. Clean all parts in accordance with the following:
(1) For general cleaning, wash the exterior of the container with an suitable detergent.
Thoroughly rinse with fresh water and allow to air dry.
(2) For decontamination, procedures required by TM 743-200, Storage and Materials Handling,
shall apply. Each deck-stored container must be washed by using organization after each
ocean voyage to retard paint and metal deterioration.
b. Replacement of Rear and Side Doors (both right and left). The rear and side doors are identical.
Severe damage to the latching mechanism will require that the door be replaced. Bent latching mechanism
parts that can be bent back into place do not need to be replaced. Conduct maintenance as follows:
(1) Release door levers (1, fig. 3-1) on right door and move door to open position. Release door
lever on left door and move it to the open position.
Hinge pins at top of rear door are in an upside down position.
(2) Torch cut tack welds at end of hinge pins (2).
Be careful when lifting to remove the door to avoid injury. Three men will be
required to lift and move the door. (Approximate weight is 190 pounds.)
(3) Lift door to take pressure off hinge pins (2) and tap hinge pins out of hinge.
(4) Using three men, remove door from cargo container. Retain hinge pins (2), washers (3), and
bearings (6) for reuse.
(5) Using three men, lift replacement door and place into position with bearings (6) and washers
(3) in position; then, insert hinge pins (2).
(6) Tack weld hinge pins (2) to bracket (4). Apply just enough weld to hold hinge pins in place.
c. Repair of Rear and Side Doors. Repair of the cargo container doors is limited to restoring bent parts
to their original configuration, repair of dents, and repair of the door gasket. Repair dents by pounding out
dents placing the door in a useable condition. Repair and replace door gaskets as follows:
(1) Replacement of Door Gasket. The configuration of the door gasket is shown in figure 2-3.
The right door gasket completely surrounds the door; the left door gasket is attached to three
sides. Replace the complete gasket when the vulcanized corners are damaged. Door
gasket sections can be repaired if the