TM 55-8115-203-23 & P
(a) Fit section in place. There should be no more than 5/64 in. gap at any point between the section,
the bottom rail edges, and the side or end panels.
(b) Bevel edges of the replacement section and existing rail to a thirty degree angle (See Figure 3-6).
(c) Tack weld section in place. Check to be sure that standard measurements shown in figure 3-1
remain correct. Adjust if necessary.
(d) Continuously butt weld section to rail edges.
(e) Grind away any excess weld material on top or bottom edge of top rail which interferes with fit of
side or end panels.
(f) Weld side or end panels to bottom rail.
(g) Clean and paint according to paragraph 2-4.
(h) Replace floorboards according to paragraph 2-10.
(i) Install lower plywood liner according to paragraph 2-9.
d. Replacement. Replace the bottom rail if it cannot be repaired by inserting or sectioning. The replacement rail
must be identical to the damaged rail in length and profile.
(1) Measure standard dimensions indicated in figure 3-1. Measure between corner posts for dimensions of
replacement rail. If standard dimensions are out of tolerance, be careful to obtain measurements for the
replacement bottom rail reflecting correct standard dimensions.
(2) Remove adjacent floorboards to allow working space, according to paragraph 2-10.
(3) Remove lower plywood panel according to paragraph 2-9.
(4) Use oxygen acetylene torch to cut welds holding the rail to the corner fittings, side or end panels, and
Direct oxygen acetylene torch away from corner fittings, corner posts, floor, and side and end
panels to prevent damage to any of these parts.
(5) Remove the damaged rail.
(6) Grind smooth all cut edges.