4-22. GUlDE BAR MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS - Continued
Install the crank holder (15) with two cap-
screws (11), hex nuts (12). lockwashers (13), and
four flat washers (14) as shown. Tighten finger
1. Inspect hand grips (1), buffers (5, 10, and 26),
spring latch (18), and shock mounts (22) for dete-
rioration or damage to rubber components.
lnstall the stop buffer (10). securing with flat
washer (9), lockwasher (8) and hex nut (7).
2. Inspect spring latch (18) for smooth action of the
latching mechanism by turning handle while hold-
ing the latch barrel.
10. Place the crark handle shank between the crank
holder (15) and the v- notched bracket on guide
3. Inspect threaded fasteners for stripped threads or
bar. catching the bit of the crank handle in the v-
notch, while engaging the stop buffer (10) with
the handle of the crank handle. Manually slide
4. Inspect guide bar (6) for bent condition or other
the crank holder (15) toward the handle until the
rubber on the stop buffer is depressed sufficiently
to secure the crank while the compactor IS in op-
5. Replace any part found defective in any way.
eration and in transit Secure the crank holder in
this position by tightening capscrews (11) se-
1. Install stop buffer (26) in bottom hole on back
Install the two rubber buffers (5) on the guide
side of the engine base. Secure with lock-
bar (6), securing with Iockwashers (4) and hex
washer (25) and hex nut (24). Tighten securely.
nuts (3). Tighten nuts securely.
2. Install one shock mount (22) to engine base, se-
1 2 Install handies (2) to the studs on rubber buff
curing with two socket head capscrews (21), lock-
ers (5), tighten securely.
washers (20), and hex nuts (19). Tighten
13 Istall a hand grip (1) on each handle (2), with a
twisting motion until fully seated over the handles
3. Install one flanged bushing (23) into each shock
4. Support the guide bar and guide the pivot shaft
Follow-on tasks include. lnstall the direc-
stub into the flanged bushing (23) installed in the
installed shock mount (22).
lnstall the throttle control and cable (Para.
4-18, Return compactor to service.
5. Install the second shock mount (22) with flanged
bushing (23) onto opposite pivot shaft stub and
secure to engine base with two socket head cap-
6. Install one hex nut (16) on barrel of spring
7. Install spring latch (18) into the bracket on rear of
engine base and install lockwasher (17) and sec-
ond nut (16) finger tight. Turn latch handle to re-
tract the pain into the barrel. Adjust position of the
hex nuts (16) so the pin misses the stop pad at
base of the guide bar (6), by approximately 1/8
in. (3.2 mm). Tighten the nuts (16) securely.