3. Connect the starter cable.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
4. Lower the engine. Check the operation of the
1. Raise the engine on a hoist.
2. Disconnect the starter cable at the starter
3. Remove the starter mounting bolts Remove the
starter assembly (Figure 7).
1. Position the starter assembly to the flywheel
housing, and start the mounting bolts.
2. Snug all bolts while holding the starter squarely
J 1065- 6
against its mounting surface and fully insert into
FIG 7 Starter Mounting
the pilot hole. Torque the bolts to specification.
and remove the pole shoes and coils from the frame.
Use a 300-watt solder Iron.
9. Cut (or unsolder) the insulated brush leads from
Use the following procedures when it becomes
the field coils, as close to the field connection
necessary to completely overhaul the starter. Figure 8
point as possible.
illustrates a partially disassembled starter.
10. Remove the starter terminal nut, washer,
insulator and terminal from the starter frame.
1. Loosen the brush cover band retaining screw
Remove any excess solder from the terminal
and remove the brush cover band and the starter
drive plunger lever cover. Observe the lead
positions for assembly and then remove the
commutator brushes from the brush holders.
2. Remove the through bolts, starter drive end
housing, and the starter drive plunger lever
3. Remove the pivot pin retaining the starter gear
plunger lever and remove the lever and the
4. Remove the stop ring retainer. Remove and
discard the stop ring retaining the starter drive
gear to the end of the armature shaft. and
remove the starter drive gear assembly.
5. Remove the brush end plate.
6. Remove the two screws retaining the ground
FIG. 9 Pole Shoe Screw Removal
brushes to the frame.
7. On the field coil that operates the starter drive
gear actuating lever, bend the tab up on the field
coil retaining sleeve and remove the sleeve.
8. Remove the three coil-retaining screws, using
Tool 10044-A and an arbor press (Figure 9). The
arbor press prevents the wrench from slipping
out of the screw. Unsolder the field coil leads
from the terminal screw,
FIG. 8 Starter Disassembled