4. Insert the upper bearing removal tool (Tool 6331) in
the oil hole in the crankshaft.
5. Rotate the crankshaft in the direction of engine
rotation to force the bearing out of the block.
1. Clean crankshaft journals. Inspect journals and
thrust faces (thrust bearing) for nicks, burrs or
bearing pickup that would cause premature bearing
wear. When replacing standard bearings with new
bearings, fit bearings to minimum specified
clearance. If desired clearance cannot be obtained
with a standard bearing, try one half of a 0.001 or
0.002 inch undersize in combination with a standard
bearing to obtain the proper clearance. Be certain
that bearings and that the bearing bore In the block or
cap are clean. Foreign material under a bearing
insert can cause bearing failure.
2. To install the upper main bearing, place the plain end
FIG. 48 200 CID Six Oil Pump Inlet Tube Installed
of the bearing over the shaft on the locking tang side
of the block and partially install the bearing so that
the tool can be inserted in the oil hole in the
crankshaft. With the tool positioned in the oil hole,
rotate the crankshaft in the opposite direction of
engine rotation until the bearing seats itself. Remove
3. Install the cap bearing.
4. Select-fit the bearings for proper clearance following
procedures under Fitting Main and Connecting Rod
Bearings on Page 1-13.
5. If the rear main bearing is replaced, replace the oil
seal in the rear main bearing cap.
6. After the bearing has been fitted, apply a light coat of
engine oil to the journal and bearings, then install the
bearing cap. Torque the cap bolts to specifications.
Repeat the procedure for the remaining bearings that
7. If the thrust bearing cap (No. 5 main bearing) has
been removed, install it as follows: Install the thrust
bearing cap with the bolts finger tight. Pry the
crankshaft forward against the thrust surface of the
upper half of the bearing (Figure 50). Hold the
crankshaft forward and pry the thrust bearing cap to
the rear. This will align the thrust surfaces of both
halves of the bearing. Retain the forward pressure on
8. Clean the oil pump inlet tube screen. Prime the oil
pump by filling the inlet opening with oil and rotating
the pump shaft until oil emerges from the outlet
FIG. 49 200 CID Six Oil Pan Gaskets and Seals Installed
opening. Then install the oil pump and the inlet tube,
following instructions under Oil Pan Installation.
Do not file or lap bearing caps or use bearing shims
9. Clean the gasket surfaces of the block and oil pan.
to obtain the proper bearing clearance.
Be sure to clean the seal grooves of the block and oil
Main bearings are available for service in standard
pan. The oil pan has a two-piece gasket. Coat the
sizes and 0.001 and 0.002 inch undersize.
block side of the gasket with an oil-resistant sealer.
bearings, which are not selective fit, are available for use on
Position the oil pan gasket on the block, then install
journals that have been refinished.
the oil pan and related parts following instructions
under Oil Pan Installation. Install the oil level dipstick.
1. Drain the crankcase. Remove the oil level dipstick.
10. Fill the crankcase to the proper level with the
Remove the oil pan and related parts.
recommended engine oil. Start the engine and check
2. Remove the oil pump inlet tube and the oil pump.
for oil pressure. Operate the engine at fast idle and
3. Replace one bearing at a time, leaving the other
check for oil leaks.
bearings securely fastened.
Remove the main
bearing cap to which new bearings are to be installed.