(1) Remove the water pump drive belt (para 4-
(d) Suspend a thermometer in the water so
that the bulb is at the same level as the thermostat
element. Heat the water slowly and stir to normalize the
(2) Remove the four bolts attaching the water
temperature. When the thermostat drops off the feeler
stock, note the temperature on the thermometer.
(3) Remove the pulley.
(e) If the valve opens at a temperature more
(4) Install pulley by reversing procedures used
than 5 below the start-to-open specification (157 162 ) or
valve does not open at a temperature of more than 5
b. Water Pump Removal and Installation n (fig. 4-
above the start-to-open specification, replace the
thermostat. In boiling water the thermostat should open
(1) Drain the cooling system by opening the
to a minimum of 0.26 inch. If the valve does not open
drain cock on the radiator.
this far, replace the thermostat.
(2) Remove the water pump pulley (para a
(f) To install the thermostat, clean the gasket
surface, coat new gasket with water resistant sealer and
(3) Loosen the clamp and remove the lower
position the gasket on the cylinder head. Position the
radiator hose from the water pump.
thermostat with the copper pellet or element toward the
(4) Remove the four bolts attaching the water
engine and the thermostat flange in the recess
pump to the cylinder block.
(g) Install the housing and radiator hose.
(5) Remove the water pump and gasket.
(h) Fill the cooling system. Start the engine
(6) Install water pump by reversing procedures
and check for leaks.
used for removal Torque attaching bolts to 12-15 ft-lbs.
4-18. Water Pump and Pulley
a. Water Pump Pulley Removal and Installation
a. Inspection. Inspect all cooling system hoses for
cracks or breaks. Replace a defective hose.
b. Removal and Installation. All of the hoses are
attached with clamps. To remove a hose, first drain the
cooling system. then loosen the clamps at each end of
the hose. Remove the hose. Install clamps on new
hose; install the hose; tighten the clamps.
Section VIII. MAINTENANCE OF HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
4-21. Hydraulic Pump and Hose
4-20. Control Valve
a. General. The hydraulic pump is mounted to the
a. Adjustment. (Remove Item 12,13 Insert Gauge)
auxiliary drive located on the side of the shuttle
(1) Loosen adjusting screw lock nut (14, fig. 4-
If any defects or shortcomings are
evident, the pump should be replaced.
(2) Turn adjusting screw(15)until pressure gauge
b. Removal. Remove the hydraulic pump and
indicates 1450 PSI with engine running at governed
(3) Tighten lock nut and recheck pressure
c. Installation. Install the hydraulic pump and
hoses by reversing the instructions for removal.
b. Removal and Installation
(1) Remove cotter pins (1) and clevis pins (2)
attaching handles and remove handles (3,4).
(2) Remove cotter pins (1) and clevis pins (6)
attaching handle links. Remove links (5,7)
(3) Disconnect hydraulic lines and hoses from
(4) Remove the mounting screws (10) and nuts
(5) the hydraulic valve bank (11).
(6) Install the valve bank by reversing the
procedures used for removal.
c. Control Handles. Inspect control handles for
cracks, breaks, or weakened areas. Replace handle if
any defects are observed.