6-11 ELEVATING CYLINDER REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
Service of the elevating cylinder includes checks for leaks and repair as necessary.
NOTE: Read Paragraph 6-1 before starting and hydraulic repair.
FEED RAM, POLESETTER ASSEMBLY MUST BE SUPPORTED BEFORE
REMOVAL OF CYLINDER. SUPPORT FEED RAM POLESETTER.
A. Check for Hydraulic Leakage
Cycle two or three times, then raise the mast and adjust pressure to maximum and let set for a minute or two.
Examine seal around the cylinder rod for evidence of leakage. If leakage is present, perform procedures as
outlined in B.
B. Repacking Elevating Cylinder
When a leak is found in a cylinder, the best way to stop the leak is to tear down and repack the cylinder. To
repack cylinder, proceed as follows:
1. Remove cylinder from machine.
Refer to Figure 6- 32 Installation of Elevating Cylinder, reverse
2. Refer to illustrated parts list in Parts Manual while performing remainder of cylinder packing procedure.
Refer to Figure 6-31 in this manual.
3. Remove capscrews and lockwashers, quantity of four each. Separate gland packing and rod wiper.
4. Remove capscrews and lockwashers. Separate packing cap, with backup ring and O-ring as a unit.
5. Remove and discard backup ring, O-ring and rod wiper. Replace with new parts.
6. Remove cylinder shaft with spacer, piston, piston seal, wear ring, and nut from cylinder assembly.
7. If piston is not worn, it is possible to replace the piston seal, and wear ring without removing the piston
NOTE: O-ring (Item 20) is seldom replaced. If required to do so, refer to Paragraph B-9.