5. Using lift fixture and hoist, lift the main drive and ring gear out of the housing, Items 13, 14, 30, 34, 33, 32.
Inspect ring gear and pinion teeth. If they are to be replaced, remove all ring gear bolts; DISCARD
BOLTS, DO NOT REUSE.
6. Use a puller or press to remove upper and lower bearings, Items 13, 32; SAVE AND RECORD NUMBER
OF SHIMS, under each bearing. Part numbers 11150 and 11149. Remove bearing cups Items 12, 31,
from housing. This can be done by laying a bead of electric weld around the inside of the cup and using a
7. Remove upper and lower grease seals and pinion bearing retainer covers. Remove six (6) bolts from
pinion housing. Using soft drift, drive pinion, Item 13, and case assembly out of final drive housing.
8. Remove unit from vise. Place bearing housing in vise and using soft drift, drive pinion shaft out of
bearing, spacer, and shims. NOTE NUMBER OF SHIMS.
9. Remove pinion housing bearing cups with a soft drift. Drive 1/4 inch wide blade into the packing in final
drive housing at right angle and pry one end up and pull out.
USE OF STEEL PUNCH REMOVING BEARING CUPS COULD
CAUSE PERSONAL INJURY.
B. Final Drive Assembly
1. Thoroughly clean all parts and housing. Inspect and replace as required. NOTE: Have your parts book
handy to refer to for part numbers. Place pinion shaft, Item 30, in vise with splined end up. Install pinion
bearing against shoulder, Item 39. NOTE: USE SOFT JAWS OR ADEQUATE CLAMPING MEANS TO
HOLD PINION SHAFT TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO PINION.
2. Install both housing cups, Item 19, in pinion housing. Lubricate both bearings. Set pinion housing on
bearing on pinion shaft. Install reuseable spacer and shims or new shims. Install second pinion bearing,
adapter, washer, and nut on pinion, torque pinion nut to 150 ft. lbs. NOTE: THE HOUSING SHOULD BE
ROTATED WHILE TIGHTENING THE PINION END NUT IN ORDER TO SEAT AND ALIGN THE
3. To measure the preload, wrap a strong cord or soft wire about the pinion housing and attach the end to the
spring scale, making sure pinion is locked in vise. Read scale only while pinion housing is turning. Scale
should read 5 to 14 lbs. If adjustment is required, add or remove shims until proper adjustment is made.