FUEL INJECTOR TIMING
Fig. 3 - Timing Fuel Injector
NOTE: If a wrench is used on the crankshaft
bolt at the front of the engine, do not turn
the crankshaft in a left-hand direction of
To time a fuel injector properly, the injector follower
rotation as the bolt may be loosened.
must be adjusted to a definite height in relation to the
3. Place the small end of the injector timing gage
All of the injectors can be timed, in firing order
in the hole provided in the top of the injector body with
sequence, during one full revolution of the crankshaft.
the flat of the gage toward the injector follower (Fig. 3).
Refer to Section 1 of the manual for engine firing order.
Refer to Table I for the correct timing gage.
Time Fuel Injector
4. Loosen the injector rocker arm push rod lock
After the exhaust valve clearance has been adjusted,
time the fuel injector as follows:
5. Turn the push rod and adjust the injector rocker
arm until the extended part of the gage will just pass
1. Place the governor speed control lever in the
over the top of the injector follower.
idle speed position. If a stop lever is provided, secure it
in the stop position.
6. Hold the push rod and tighten the lock nut.
Rotate the crankshaft, manually or with
Check the adjustment and, if necessary, readjust the
the starting motor, until the exhaust valves are fully
depressed on the particular cylinder to be timed.
7. Time the remaining injectors as outlined above.
8. If no further engine tune-up is required, install
the valve rocker cover(s), using a new gasket.