The bypass filter assembly, when used, continually filters a portion of the lubricating oil that is being bled off the oil gallery
when the engine is running. Eventually all of the oil passes through the filter, filtering out minute foreign particles that m ay
The lubricating oil filter elements should be replaced, each time the engine oil is changed, as follows:
1. Remove the drain plug and drain the oil.
2. The filter shell, element and stud may be detached as an assembly, after removing the center stud from the base.
Discard the gasket.
3. Clean the filter base.
4. Discard the used element, wipe out the filter shell and install a new element on the center stud.
5. Place a new gasket in the filter base, position the shell and element assembly on the gasket and tighten the center
stud carefully to prevent damaging the gasket or center stud.
6. Install the drain plug and, after the engine is started, check for oil leaks.