4. Turn the Crankshaft manually in the direction of engine rotation or crank the engine with the starting motor, if
necessary, until the rocker arms for the particular cylinder are aligned in a horizontal plane.
If a wrench is used on the crankshaft bolt at the front of the engine, do not turn the crankshaft in a
left-hand direction of rotation as the bolt will be loosened. Remove the starting motor and use a
pry bar against the teeth of the flywheel ring gear to turn the crankshaft.
5. Remove the two rocker shaft bracket bolts and swing the rocker arm assembly away from the injector and valves.
6. Remove the injector clamp bolt, washer and clamp'.
7. Loosen the inner and outer adjusting screws on the injector rack control lever and slide the lever away from the
8. Free the injector from its seat as shown in Fig. 3 and lift it from the cylinder head.
9. Cover the injector hole in the cylinder head to keep foreign particles out of the cylinder.
Before installing an injector, be sure the beveled seat of the injector tube is free from dirt particles and carbon deposits.
A new or reconditioned injector may be installed by reversing the sequence of operations given above for removal.
Be sure the injector is filled with fuel oil. If necessary, add clean fuel oil at the inlet filter until it runs out the outlet filter.
On four valve cylinder heads, there is a possibility of damaging the exhaust valves if the exhaust
valve bridge is not resting on the ends of the exhaust valves when tightening the rocker shaft
bracket bolts. Therefore, note the position of the exhaust valve bridge before, during and after
tightening the rocker shaft bracket bolts.
Do not tighten the injector clamp bolt to more than 20-25 lb-ft (27-34 Nm) torque, as this may cause the moving parts of
the injector to bind. Tighten the rocker shaft bolts to 50-55 lb-ft (68-75 Nm) torque.
Align the fuel pipes and connect them to the injector and the fuel connectors. Use socket J 8932-01 and a torque wrench
to tighten the fuel pipe nuts to 12-15 lb-ft (16-20 Nm) torque.