6-10 LEVELING CYLINDER REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
A. Check for Hydraulic Leakage
Cycle two or three times, level the feed ram, polesetter and adjust pressure to maximum and let set for a minute
or two. Examine the seal around the cylinder rod for evidence of leakage.
FEED RAM AND POLESETTER WILL FALL WHEN LEVELING CYLINDER IS
REMOVED. SUPPORT FEED RAM AND POLESETTER.
B. Repacking Leveling Cylinder
When a leak is found in a cylinder, the most reliable way to stop the leak is to tear down the repack cylinder. To
repack the cylinder, proceed as follows:
NOTE: Read Paragraph 6-1 before starting repairs.
1. Remove cylinder from machine. Refer to Figure 6-30, Leveling Cylinder Installation, reverse procedure.
Refer to Figure 6-29 while performing remainder of cylinder packing procedure, and Paragraph C-2 thru C-
2. Remove bolt stud and elastic stop nut (Items 1 and 2) quantity of three each. Separate gland packing
(Item 4) from cylinder.
3. Remove capscrews and lockwashers (Items 6 and 7), quantity of six each. Separate cylinder cap (Item 8)
with backup ring (Item 10), and O-Ring (Item 9), shaft packing (Item 5), as a unit.
4. Remove and discard backup ring and O-ring. Replace with new parts.
5. Remove cylinder shaft (Item 16), piston (Item 13), piston packing (Item 14), O-ring (Item 15), and nut (Item
12) from cylinder assembly.
6. If piston is not worn, it is possible to replace the piston seal, and O-ring without removing the piston from