RIGHT ANGLE DRIVE REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
A. Disassembly of Right Angle Drive
1. Before right angle drive can be removed from digger, it is necessary to remove the feed ram and the final
drive assembly. After the feed ram and final drive have been removed, disconnect the drive line at the
rear U-joint. Disconnect the leveling cylinder.
CLAMP KELLY BAR TO BARREL ASSEMBLY TO PREVENT BAR FROM SLIDING.
2. Remove all capscrews, washers and tab locks from retainer ring. Using a lifting device, lift the right angle
drive assembly out of the main frame ring, (have parts manual with you to refer to for part numbers).
3. Remove the brass liner from the intermediate ring by driving a flat, thin punch between the rear face of the
liner and the intermediate ring.
4. Using a pin punch, drive out the four dowel pins. Remove all capscrews that hold the intermediate ring to
the right angle housing. Lift the intermediate ring off the right angle housing and remove gasket.
5. Lift the ring gear and carrier out of the housing. If the ring gear is to be replaced, remove ring gear from
6. Remove bearings with a bearing puller. NOTE THE NUMBER OF OF SHIMS REMOVED. Remove cup
from intermediate housing with a punch.
7. Remove pinion housing assembly. NOTE THE NUMBER OF SHIMS REMOVED. Place pinion in padded
vise and remove pin, nut washer, and yoke.
8. Remove unit from vise, and place housing in vise and drive pinion shaft out of bearings, spacer and shims.
NOTE THE NUMBER OF SHIMS REMOVED.
9. Remove roller bearing from shaft. Use bearing puller, DO NOT PUNCH.
10. Remove bearing cup from housing by welding a bead completely around the inside of the cup. This will
cause the cup to contract and a hard blow with a hammer on the outside of the housing directly over the
cup area will knock it out.