11. Slide retainer over top end of barrel and past groove in barrel with relieved slide of retainer facing end of
barrel. Place lock ring into groove starting with one end and coiling it into place. Install new O-Ring and
backup ring in cap, slide cap into place, over end of barrel and align holes with the holes in the retainer.
Screw capscrews into cap and torque to 67 ft. lbs.
12. Place O-Ring into top end of transfer tube. Install all clamps on barrel loosely, leaving top bolt out of each
clamp. Set transfer tube in clamps and slide against cap. Place split flanges around top end of transfer
tube and align holes with the holes in the cap. Screw bolts into cap tight. Replace remaining bolts in
clamps and tighten all nuts. Do not tighten to the point of distorting tube.
D. Remounting Feed Ram Assembly
1. Reverse removal procedure.
2. After feed ram assembly has been mounted on digger, torque nuts on elevating cylinder saddle clamp to
60 ft. lbs maximum, all other clamps torque to 10 ft. lbs. maximum.
3. After replacing the upper and lower packing, adjust upper packing to allow a very slight seepage of oil to
ensure proper lubrication of main brass drive. The lower packing should be adjusted to allow an oil film to
be present on the kelly bar at all times to ensure maximum packing life.
FINAL DRIVE ASSEMBLY REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
A. Disassembly Final Drive Assembly (Figure 6-24)
1. Remove elevating cylinder pin, and support feed ram at lower barrel support.
2. Remove all capscrews, tab locks. Remove retainer ring. Remove capscrews on front of lower barrel.
3. Use a hoist to lift the final drive assembly away from right angle drive housing and slide off kelly bar.
CAUTION: CLAMP KELLY BAR TO BARREL ASSEMBLY TO PREVENT BAR FROM SLIDING.
4. Remove the tab locks and capscrews, Items 4, 5, 6. Note: The location of drain plug in housing cover.
Lift lower-housing cover off the main drive brass.